Strawberry Amaretto English Trifle
Recipe written and created by Chef Chris Valdes.
- 1 vanilla bean, halved
- 4 cups heavy cream, divided
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole Prepared pound cakes, cubes into 1 inch by 1inch pieces
- 4 cups fresh or fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup White Chocolate shavings
- To make the creme anglaise, in a small saucepan, bring 2 cups cream to medium heat with vanilla bean, do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup granulated sugar until ribbons form. Gradually add 1 cup of the warm cream, and mix well. Add back to the pot with the remaining cream and stirring constantly cook over low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine strainer, discarding the vanilla bean. Allow to cool and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whip the remaining 2 cups of cream with the confectioner's sugar to make a whipped cream.
- To assemble the trifle, add slices of pound cake to fit tightly into the bottom of a trifle bowl (or a 1 1/2-quart decorative glass bowl), and slightly up the sides about 1-inch. Drizzle or sprinkle the cake with Amaretto. Top with 1/3 mixture of cream anglaise, followed by the strawberry slices, and then the whipped cream. Repeat until the trifle bowl is full. Garnish with chocolate shavings