Extremely Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup
- 3- 32 oz. box chicken broth
- 1 loaf 5 grain Italian bread
- 2 C diced celery
- 2 C chopped onion
- 2 C chopped carrots
- 2 T butter
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 pkg (14 oz.) smoked sausage
- ½ C flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 C shredded cheddar cheese/American cheese
- Parsley for garnish
- Olive oil to drizzle on bread
- Heat chicken broth in large pot.
- Slice bread at angle, place on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 250°F until crisp, about 10 minutes. Chop parsley for garnish.
- Chop celery, onions, and carrots and sauté in skillet with butter and olive oil until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Slice sausage lengthwise and then slice in small pieces; add meat to skillet and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and spices to skillet and stir.
- Add contents of skillet to hot broth. Remove from heat.
- Stir continuously while adding 1 cup of cheese at a time.
Serving Instructions: Serve in bowls with toasted bread slices and garnish soup with chopped parsley and cheddar goldfish snacks.