We're In This Together: Dairy Farmers Work Hard to Supply Milk
Dairy Farmers Work 24/7 to Meet Surge in Demand
Dairy farmers work 24/7 to bring you delicious healthy milk and other dairy products fresh from the farm. Our Florida farmers eagerly rise with the sun each morning to keep the supply of milk flowing no matter the circumstances.
Florida dairy farmers continue to milk more than 123,000 dairy cows 2 to 3 times a day. Thanks to the hard-working drivers and processors, it only takes about 2 days for milk to go from the cow to your local grocery store's shelves.
Stay Healthy with Milk
Eating a balanced diet, which includes dairy, fruits, vegetables and whole grains, is one of the best ways to stay healthy and boost your immune system. Not only is milk delicious and highly versatile, it’s also good for you.
Milk contains 9 essential nutrients including: calcium, potassium, phosphorus, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin B12, riboflavin, and niacin. A single glass of milk contains 8g of high-quality protein. Because milk is so affordable, it's one of the most cost-effective sources for these nutrients and is the #1 food source of calcium, potassium, and vitamin D - nutrients many Americans, including children, are lacking in their diets.
Milk is also among the most highly regulated foods in the country. Despite all the fear caused by COVID-19, you can feel confident knowing that the delicious, nutritious milk delivered to your grocery store is safe and fresh.
Keep the Kids Busy with Free Activities
With schools closed and the kids at home, you might feel a little stir-crazy. We’re here to help by providing these free, family-friendly activities!
- Take a virtual tour of a dairy farm and learn about where your milk comes from
- Enjoy our free, printable activity sheets like our coloring page and crossword puzzle
- Make exercise part of the family fun with this cow-inspired yoga, Mooga
- Go on a dairy farm adventure with SunnyBell when you read our online flipbook
- You can also visit the fair with SunnyBell when you read our other online flipbook
- Join SunnyBell for her very own Moosicle for some sing-a-long fun
- Learn more about cows and dairy with these educational printables
- Check all these out and more at our Kids’ Corner
Make-it-at Home Recipes for Everyone
Why not make meal time a family-fun affair with these easy-to-make recipes designed and taste-approved by kids? We’ve got everything from simply-made smoothies for beginner cooks to decadent desserts for an expert chef looking for a challenge. You can see all our recipes here.
Other Helpful Links
Here are some additional links and tips you may find useful during this time.
- Use these creative ways to use up dairy ingredients.
- To keep food from spoiling, be sure to keep your refrigerator at or below 40 F and freezer below 0 F.
- Here’s some more helpful tips on keeping your food fresh in the fridge.
- Wondering if your food has gone bad? Take this quick quiz to find out.
- Start snacking healthier with this helpful guide.
- Start your day right with these 6 protein pairings.