Spice Cake with Salted Caramel Icing
Non-stick spray (or butter) and flour for preparing pans
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, preferably Saigon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups firmly-packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- 1 cup whole milk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons spiced rum
- 1/4 teaspoon finely milled pink sea salt, or taste
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and spices.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl on medium until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add rum. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- For the icing, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and softened butter on medium-high. Beat in 1/3 cup caramel sauce and the rum. On low speed, beat in powdered sugar gradually until smooth and creamy. Frost cake as desired.
Recipe note: Look for caramel sauce in the ice cream topping section of the supermarket.
- 10g Total Fat
- 6g Saturated Fat
- 30mg Cholesterol
- 22g Carbohydrates