Smoky Bacon and Cheddar Mac 'N' Cheese
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese, grated - 2 cups whole or low fat milk
- 8 oz elbow or spiral pasta, cooked & drained
- 4 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 3 drops liquid smoke
- 4 slices crisp bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Panko crumbs
- a few strips of bacon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add flour to make a paste, and slowly stir the milk.
- Continue to cook until mixture thickens.
- Stir in liquid smoke, salt, pepper, and cheeses. Stir until cheese (reserving 1/2 cup) is melted and smooth.
- Add the pasta and star to coat evenly.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and Panko crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.