Cheesy Breakfast Pizza with Whole-Grain Crust
Crust Ingredients (makes 2 crusts)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 prebaked crust from recipe above
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- A dash of salt/pepper
- 2 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (turkey bacon or sausage can be substituted)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Cheddar-blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a bowl, combine the warm water, sugar (or honey), and yeast.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the oil, flour and salt and mix until the dough is formed.
- Knead dough adding more flour if necessary to avoid stickiness. Knead for 5 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, turning the dough to evenly coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes until doubled in size (appx. 45 minutes).
- Punch down dough and knead.
- Gently divide dough into two portions and place in oiled bowl to rise again until doubled in size (appx. 45 minutes)
- After rising, punch down dough and form into two circles. Allow to rest for 15 minutes and roll out to 16” diameter.
- Place on a baking stone or sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal. Bake crusts in preheated oven for 17-22 minutes.
For breakfast pizza:
- While the crusts are baking, crack 6 eggs into a small bowl.
- Add the milk and salt and pepper, beat well.
- Scramble the eggs in a nonstick skillet until no longer runny and eggs are fluffy.
- Sprinkle crust with ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Top with scrambled eggs and assorted chosen toppings (see suggestions above).
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of eggs and toppings and bake for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*This pizza reheats well, simply microwave for 35-40 seconds on high heat.