Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Recipe created by 3-Every-Day™ of Dairy.
- 1 (12-ounce) package reduced-fat Mozzarella string cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 tablespoons panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup prepared marinara sauce, warmed (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Remove cheese from packaging and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg until foamy.
- In small non-stick skillet, mix Italian seasoning with bread crumbs and place over medium heat.
- Cook and stir bread crumbs until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Dip one piece of string cheese in egg until coated and then into toasted bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Redip the string cheese in egg and again into the bread crumbs, if desired.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining string cheese and place on baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Spray string cheese lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until heated through. (Cheese may melt slightly and lose shape. Simply press it back into place.)
Suggested serving: Pair with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.