Overnight Breakfast Sausage Enchiladas
Recipe written and created by Tracy Shaw of Food Wine Sunshine.
- 1/2 sweet onion - diced
- 1 jalapeno - diced (seeds removed if desired)
- 2 mini sweet peppers - diced and seeds removed
- 16 oz breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 8 tortillas - medium size
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup Florida milk
- Spray an 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add a touch of oil to a large skillet and warm.
- Saute onion and peppers until tender.
- Add the breakfast sausage and cook throughout, breaking apart bigger pieces as needed. Once sausage is cooked thoroughly, shut off the heat and let's assemble the enchiladas.
- Lay all 8 tortillas out. Divide a 1/2 cup of shredded cheese amongst the tortillas. Sprinkle a little in each one.
- Using a spoon, add the sausage mixture to each tortilla. Save about a 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture for the end
- Using your hands roll each tortilla tightly and place in the tortillas in the prepared baking dish seam side down. Repeat until all tortillas are in the prepared baking pan.
- In a medium bowl mix the eggs, milk and all-purpose seasoning.
- Pour the egg-milk mixture over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remaining sausage over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees when ready to cook. Bake covered for 30-40 minutes until eggs are set
- Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese (feel free to add more!).
- Place back in oven until cheese is melted - 3-5 minutes