Pumpkin Pecan French Toast Casserole
Recipe by Terri Truscello Miller of Love and Confections
- 1 pound loaf challah bread
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Pecan Crumble Topping
- 1/4 cup all purpose four
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- Spray large 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Cube loaf and place half of the bread cubes into the pan. Sprinkle pecans over bread then place remaining bread cubes on top.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, cream and sugars until sugars are melted and milk is warm.
- In medium bowl, whisk together vanilla, eggs, pumpkin puree and spices. Slowly drizzle the warm milk into the eggs whisking constantly.
- Carefully pour mixture over bread, making sure it is completely coated. If necessary, use a spatula and move bread to make sure it is coated in the mixture.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Prepare topping. Sprinkle topping on just before baking
- To bake: Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Heat oven to 350F. Bake, uncovered for 45-60 minutes, until center is set and no longer soggy.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve with warm melted butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, fruit of choice, or toasted chopped pecans.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor. Pulse until it resembles course crumbs. Place in container with lid overnight in refrigerator. Sprinkle on casserole just before baking.