Curry Chocolate Ice Cream
This recipe was created by Nikki from Nik Snacks
Homemade Curry Powder
Makes ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
Makes 1.5 quarts
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup curry powder blend (recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- In a heavy saucepan whisk together brown sugar, cocoa powder and curry powder until combined and then whisk in heavy cream and milk. Bring mixture just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat yolks until smooth. Add one-third of the hot cream mixture to yolks in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Pour the newly formed custard into the heavy saucepan.
- Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170° F.
- Remove pan from heat and add chopped chocolate, whisking until melted.
- Pour custard through a sieve or mesh strainer into a clean bowl and chill by covering its surface with plastic wrap, at least 3 hours, or until cold.
- Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Serve.