Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
For the Peppermint Chocolate Truffles:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter cubes of butter at room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Chocolate Coating:
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 2 full-size candy canes crushed
- Chop your chocolate into fine pieces. Over low heat, heat heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan. Once it comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add in chopped chocolate. Let the chocolate and cream sit for 2 minutes. Then whisk until it’s smooth. Then stir in butter and peppermint extract until it’s shiny and fully combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a medium bowl. Allow it to cool to room temperature. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm enough to scoop.
Assembly without dipping
- Use a cookie scooper to scoop out the truffle mixture and place into a mini cupcake liner.
- Top with candy canes.
- Allow truffles to sit at room temperature until set, about 1 hour.
Optional Chocolate Coating
- Use a cookie scooper to scoop out the truffle mixture and place onto parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate. You can melt it in the microwave or over the stove top using a double boiler. Stir occasionally with a silicone spatula. Right before dipping, pour the melted chocolate into a liquid measuring cup.
- Remove the truffles from the refrigerator and dip them into the melted chocolate. Then sprinkle with crushed candy canes.