Chocolate Pumpkin Drip Cake
Yield: 1 8-inch cake
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Ingredients:
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin Frosting Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
8-9 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
Chocolate Ganache Drip Ingredients:
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup plus 1-3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
2-3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Heat oven to 350F. Prepare 2 8-inch cake pans with baking spray and parchment circles, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, or bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine sugar, brown sugar and eggs on medium to medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in oil, milk, vanilla extract and pumpkin puree. Mix on low until combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Gradually add into wet mixture while on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Divide batter evenly between two pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Pumpkin Frosting Instructions:
- In large bowl with hand blender, or bowl of mixer with whisk attachment, mix butter and shortening together until completely combined. Add in salt, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice and mix on low until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Once incorporated whip on medium low and add in vanilla extract and milk, starting with 2 tablespoons and adding more after incorporating powdered sugar. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, starting with 8 cups. Once combined, whip on medium to medium-high until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. If you live in a humid climate, or frosting does not hold shape, add sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. If frosting is too stiff and dry, add remaining milk.
- Level each cake. Place one cake on a cake round or serving plate. Fill bottom layer with frosting. Turn second layer upside down so flat, uncut side is up. Crumb coat* entire cake and chill for 45 minutes. Frost entire cake with pumpkin frosting and chill another 45 minutes.
- Once cake is fully chilled, place chocolate chips in large heat-proof measuring cup or medium glass bowl.
- Place 1/2 cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons corn syrup into heat-proof measuring cup or glass bowl and microwave for 45 seconds - 1 minute, until hot. Pour immediately on top of chocolate chips and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Using a whisk or spatula, combine the melted chocolate and heavy cream until a glossy, drip consistency.
- Place in piping bag or candy-making squeeze bottle and create drips around the edge of the cake. Less pressure makes smaller drips, more pressure makes longer drips.
- Pipe chocolate on top of cake and spread using a small offset spatula.
- Chill cake for 10 minutes. Place pumpkin frosting in piping bag fitted with 1M open star tip
- Pipe border around the base of cake and pipe dollops on top of cake. Can be made a day in advance.
* Crumb coat is a thin layer of frosting applied after stacking the cake, so the crumbs do not show when the final layer of frosting is applied.