Classic Creamy Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk (low fat/reduced fat can be used)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (dissolved in 1 tablespoon of milk)
- 1 and 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste OR 2 vanilla beans, split and beans removed with a knife.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks until creamy.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, cream, salt, and sugar.
- Bring to a boil while stirring. Boil for four minutes and add the cornstarch mixture.
- Slowly add the yolks, a small amount at a time while constantly stirring to prevent yolks from scrambling.
- Continue to add a thin stream of yolks until all of the yolks are incorporated into the hot milk mixture. If there are lumps, mixture may be strained at this point.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla bean seeds or the paste.
- Stir well
- Cover and chill.
- Once mixture is thoroughly chilled, freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.