Creamy Chocolate Mint Chiffon Pie
- 1 chocolate crumb crust
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus an additional 7 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4-6 drops peppermint oil
- 4-8 drops green coloring
- chocolate curls and mint leaves for garnish
For the crust:
- 1 3/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 6 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the crumbs with the other ingredients in a bowl, press into a 9"pie pan - starting in the center and working up the sides
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Directions for the pie:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, dissolve the gelatin in the water until completely dissolved, set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine the milk, 7 tablespoons of sugar, and the salt.
- Bring to just under a boil, stirring often, remove from heat.
- Slowly beat in 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the yolks.
- Add the gelatin and remaining yolks to the mixture and return to medium heat.
- Continue to cook until mixture thickens.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator and stir occasionally until mixture has thickened to pudding constancy.
- Once the yolk mixture reaches proper consistency, in a separate bowl, begin to beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream until fluffy and stiff peaks are formed.
- Gently fold the two mixtures together, adding the peppermint oil and the green coloring.
- Spoon into piecrust and refrigerate 3-4 hours before slicing.
- Garnish with peppermint leaves and chocolate curls.