Fluffy Japanese Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of got milk?
- 1 1/2 cups flour, spooned and levelled
- 3 tsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- syrup and powdered sugar for serving (optional)
Alternate options for out-of-stock ingredients:
- substitute vanilla extract for almond extract
- substitute honey, molasses, or agave nectar for maple syrup
- make your own powdered sugar by blending 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cornstarch until a fine powder
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a second bowl, stir together milk, melted butter, almond extract, and the egg yolk.
- In a third bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar 3-4 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients until just combined (a few lumps are fine). Gently fold whipped egg whites into the batter until just incorporated (do not overmix).
- Preheat a deep skillet with a lid over low heat and spray the inside of a 3-inch baking ring with non-stick spray and place in the preheating pan. Fill each ring halfway full with batter. Place lid on the pan and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Slide a spatula underneath to lift the pancake and ring and use tongs to quickly flip it over. Allow to cook another 2-3 minutes until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately topped with syrup and powdered sugar (optional).