Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting
Makes 2 dozen cupcakes (about 24)
Recipe provided by Go Bold With Butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (about 13 ounces) prepared dulce de leche
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line 24 cups of standard muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture gradually, alternating with milk. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans, filling muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake 22-26 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes in pans on wire racks. Then, remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and dulce de leche until well-blended. Mix in vanilla and salt, beating until combined.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Store frosted cupcakes in refrigerator. Set out cupcakes for about an hour before serving to bring to room temperature.
- 10.6 Total Fat
- 5.8g Saturated Fat
- 74.3mg Cholesterol
- 39.1g Carbohydrates