Rich Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Recipe is written and created by Cristy Steward-Harfmann of the Happy Family Blog.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder natural
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ounces chocolate (we used 4 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips)
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- 9 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup water room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix butter and sugar until fully combined with a hand mixer or a stand mixer. It will be a sandy texture.
- Melt the chocolate. We melted it in the microwave. Heat in 30 second intervals so you do not overcook it.
- Wait until the melted chocolate is cool enough to touch. Then add it to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time and mix until fully combined.
- Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream until just combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in small amounts, mixing until just combined.
- Mix in water. The mixture will look really liquidity.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and put in the oven.
- Cook for 18 minutes – then check to make sure they are fully cooked. The toothpick should come out clean.
- Remove cupcakes and place on a cooling rack or on the counter to cool to room temperature.
- Ice them once they have cooled off completely.