Creamy Squash & Mushroom Soup (Diabetes Friendly)
Recipe provided by Chef Ingrid Huffman.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced (about 5 ounces)
- 1 lb package white button mushrooms, quartered
- 6 large sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups calabaza squash or butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks (about 2.5 pounds
- 3 cups chicken stock, no-salt added
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 6 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt
- 6 teaspoons toasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the leaks and cook, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sage, chipotle powder and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium low and cook, covered for 20-25 minutes, until the pumpkin is fork tender.
- Carefully transfer to a blender. Add the milk and blend until smooth.
- Divide into 6 portions. Serve each portion with 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin seeds and chopped parsley