Quinoa Chorizo Stuffed Peppers
Recipe provided by Go Bold With Butter
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked, pre-rinsed quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded (optional) and minced
- 1 rounded teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed if needed
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
To make peppers:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Halve peppers lengthwise through stems, leaving stems attached. Remove seeds.
- Lightly brush peppers outside and inside with melted butter. Sprinkle insides with salt and pepper.
- Place, cut-side down, in 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Bake until peppers are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Turn cut-side up and set baking dish aside.
To make filling:
- In large saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until tender. Add garlic and stir constantly until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add quinoa, chicken broth, tomatoes, jalapeño, cumin, chipotle and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add uncooked chorizo and cook for about five minutes, breaking up chorizo into pieces, until meat is fully cooked.
- Add black beans and frozen corn and stir until heated through. Set aside.
- When quinoa is cooked, add quinoa mixture and cilantro to chorizo mixture and stir to combine. Fill pepper halves with filling.* Divide Monterey Jack cheese between peppers.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to baking dish. Cover peppers with foil and bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 minutes more.
Serve hot. Top with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired.
*Depending on the size of your peppers, you may have leftover filling. It makes a delicious lunch or filling for burritos.
Make ahead: Peppers can be stuffed ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to two days. Add cheese before baking.
- 3.2g Total Fat
- 0.2g Saturated Fat
- 0mg Cholesterol
- 65.8g Carbohydrates