Easter Polvorones (Shortbread Cookies)
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
Optional: food coloring and toppings
Toppings: sprinkles, Nutella, chocolate wafers, jam, powdered sugar, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line three cookie sheets with a Silpat, parchment paper or use nonstick spray.
- Cream butter and shortening and slowly add sugar and almond extract.
- If adding food coloring add 5 - 10 drops of your favorite color.
- Add flour by the spoonful until well incorporated and then add chopped almonds.
- Use a small scoop to measure dough, roll into balls and make an indent with your thumb or finger to create a nest. At this time add jam or sprinkles if desired.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until edges are lightly golden. Cookies edges will crack.
- Remove from oven and cool one to two minutes before transfering to a cooling rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or decorate with chocolate wafer, Nutella, jam or your favorite topping.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk.