Pastelon - Latin Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons of sofrito
- 2 tablespoons olives and capers
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped red peppers
- ½ tablespoon of Adobo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds frozen ripe plantains
- 6 oz French cut green beans
- 6 oz Queso Fresco
- 6 oz Grated Cheddar cheese such as Cabot Alpine Cheddar
- 3 eggs
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Heat the ripe plantains per the instructions in the bag until warm.
- Cook the meat with sofrito, olives, capers, and red peppers for 5 to 7 min or until well cooked, stirring often. Season to taste, and then drain excess fat.
- In a deep aluminum or glass dish, spray non-stick cooking oil. Smash half of the plantains with a fork to make an even layer. Add the meat, cover with queso fresco, sprinkle green beans and another layer of ripe plantains.
- Mix the eggs and add over the plantain layer evenly. Use a fork to prick the plantain layer for it seep through the layers and bind the dish.
- Finish with the grated cheddar. Bake for 20 – 30 min or until warm and the cheese is melted.
- Wait 5 minutes before serving.
Note: You can create individual portions in smaller containers or even in cupcake plan for wonderful appetizers.