Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe written and created by Chef Chris Valdes.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh sage
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- ½ cup whole milk and ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- Heat butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, apple, garlic, and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to turn translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, thyme, squash, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree in a blender. Place back in the soup pot and finish with the half and half and whole milk and pinch of cinnamon and cayenne pepper.
Topping Ideas: Toasted Pumpkin seeds, sour cream, mascarpone cheese