Creamy Tomato Soup & Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 2 28 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 7 whole garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 3 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic (not garlic salt)
- 1 14.5 oz can sliced carrots
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Florida Milk (we used Whole Milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 teaspoon sea salt
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients:
- 8 slices thick sliced bread
- 4 tablesoons butter, softened
- 1 clove of raw garlic, grated with a Microplaner
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Swiss Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 4 Muenster Cheese slices
- 4 Medium Cheddar slices
- Preheat oven 375.
- Remove whole tomatoes from can, cut tomatoes in half, and reserve excess tomato juices and canned sauce for another use.
- Lay tomato halves on a baking sheet with halved onion. Drizzle EVOO lightly over tomatoes and onion. Season with salt-free Italian seasoning blend, dried thyme, and granulated garlic.
- Place unpeeled whole garlic cloves in foil, drizzle with EVOO and seal to form a parcel. Place on the baking sheet or directly on the oven rack. Roast all vegetables for 1 hour.
- When vegetables are finished roasting and you are ready to make soup. Heat 1 Tablespoon EVOO in a medium pot, over medium heat. Cook drained carrots until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes, roasted onion, and peeled roasted garlic to the pot. Add vegetable or chicken broth to the pot and stir, breaking up tomato and onion into chunks with a temperature safe spatula or wooden spoon.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer soup mixture to a stand blender, process the mixture. Add milk to the pot or blender and process soup until smooth. Return to pot to heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Depending on the type of canned tomatoes used, the soup flavor can vary. We used Cento Peeled Plum Tomatoes and the soup had a classic cream of tomato flavor. For a creamier consistency add a splash of heavy cream. If your soup is too tart, balance by sweetening with 1 tsp of honey or agave. Taste, add more sweetener if needed.
- In a small bowl combine softened butter and grated garlic. Butter one side of bread with the garlic butter mixture for each grilled cheese sandwich being made.
- In a skillet over medium heat, place one slice of bread butter side down. Pile ? cup each of Sharp Cheddar, Swiss, and Montery Jack Cheeses. Add one slice of Muenster and one slice of Medium Cheddar cheeses, top with buttered bread slice.
- Toast on medium heat until bread is toasted and garlic is cooked, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Gently flip sandwich with a spatula. Turn heat down to medium-low heat, toast until bread is golden brown and cheese is completely melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, slice sandwich in half before serving with Creamy Tomato Soup. Enjoy!