Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- 2 cups diced/shredded turkey - leftovers work perfectly
- 1 box quick cook long grain wild rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 7 tbsp butter
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in 1 tbsp of butter.
- Once the onions start to get translucent add in the carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and flour.
- Stir in contents of rice seasoning packet into the saucepan with the melted butter (NOT the rice).
- Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by adding 1- 2 tablespoons at a time, to form a roux.
- Whisk in milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until warm, 5 minutes.
- Pour the broth, water, and turkey into the larger pot with the vegetables. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice.
- Stir the milk mixture into broth and vegetables. Cook over medium heat until heated through and the rice and vegetables are tender.
This soup is delicious with a nice chunk of bread, or serve it in a bread bowl!