Butter Lettuce Salad with Green Goddess Dressing and Parmesan Croutons
- 2 small heads butter lettuce, trimmed and washed
- 1 pint grape or similar-sized heirloom tomatoes, washed and halved
- 2 cups super salad blend of shaved, julienned and chopped vegetables (see note)
- 1/2 cup shaved or thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- Day old bread of choice (I like whole wheat, French, and Cuban bread)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste, or 2 fillets packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Make the croutons:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut or tear bread into cubes. They don’t have to be perfect geometric shapes. In fact, it’s much better if they aren’t. Put bread and Parmesan cheese into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Using a spatula mix well.
- Spread onto a nonstick sheet pan in a single layer. Bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
Make the dressing:
- In a processor, purée mayonnaise, buttermilk, chives, parsley, lemon juice, 2 anchovy paste or fillets, and garlic.
- When the mixture is completely smooth, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Assemble the salad:
- Line salad plates with 4 butter lettuce leaves. (If you prefer, you can tear the lettuce into pieces and create a bed on the plates.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine super blend mix with radishes.
- Top butter lettuce with a generous1/4 cup or more of the super blend and radish mixture. Scatter tomatoes and walnuts on top and around the vegetable mix. Add croutons to taste.
- Dollop with dressing to taste.
Recipe note: I bought the Marketside Super Blend of vegetables at my local Walmart. It’s a yummy mix of flavorful mix of brussels sprouts, Napa cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli, carrots, and kale.